How to get what you really want. Really.
by Carol Williams
“You can’t always get, what you want…You can’t always get, what you want…but if you try sometimes…you get what you need….”
OK; we all know that song. Right? “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” is a song by the Rolling Stones on their 1969 album Let It Bleed.
Is it true? Yes and no.
While it’s true that the Universe will provide us what we need, a nudge in the right direction never hurts. Enter “all that goal-setting.” Yet, so many people don’t bother with goals. While many reasons can be offered as to why, it often boils down to one phrase.
We don’t get what we want. We get what we expect.
(no wonder we drop goals!)
Sit with that for a minute. What’s your current dilemma?
Example: Are you an entrepreneur who has way too much to do, is very busy, hates “all things marketing” and simply wants to get on with her work? You say you want to make a good living. But do you truly expect it?
Follow the steps below to finally realize why you continue to try and try, with some success, yet, often feel frustrated and broke. (and yes, there is a way out!)
Maybe you have set goals before. Maybe they have worked. Maybe not. Never mind, today is a new day. You have permission to release whatever has not worked in the past. It’s a new sheet of paper. When you come to this with a fresh outlook, also known as “beginner’s mind,” the possibilities sprout and become more real.
START HERE: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. SPEND SOME TIME ON THEM.
- What in your life (business, family, relationships, health) do you want to MASTER?
- With the answer to number one, ask, so what? One of the strongest motivators is dissatisfaction. Tension drives action.
- When you achieve your mastery (the goal you set in #1), how will your life change for the better? What lies beneath? That’s right, go deep. The deeper, the better.
- Commit to achieving your goal. No matter what. Believe, that even though you actually have no clue how it will be done, that it will be. You are meant to do this.
- Practice. Repeat. Repeat. Practice. Repeat. Repeat. Learn. Repeat. Repeat. (Do you know the 10,000 hour rule? You can master anything by working for 10 years and/or practicing it for 10,000 hours).
Now, I told you I’d mention why you may be feeling frustrated even though you have tried goals before.
We can say we want to lose 10 lbs. But do we expect to do this? We can say we would like to find the perfect partner. Yet we say there are no decent (men/women) out there. We throw excuses (some of them quite believable) in front of us. We sabotage ourselves, and complicate ourselves, and in the process feel pretty sorry for ourselves. And congratulations, we are now “normal.” Since the bulk of the population lives this way, we find comfort in this constant state of discomfort. What are they saying? They are saying,
“I want to change my life but I don’t really believe I can”
Is there a new way to go? Sure. HERE IS YOUR NEW MANTRA.
Expect great things. Act as if.
Then, expect your life experiences to match your expectations (which are now Great Things).